Thursday, June 12, 2008

Madelyn's Baptism Day - May 24, 2008

Today is probably the most special day ever for Madelyn...she turned 8 and got baptised and confirmed by her Dad. She was so high-spirited that day...something about her...a special glow to her. She was smiling from ear to ear. Maddy told me was a little nervous but very excited too.
Many people came to watch her get baptised...family, friends, neighbors. Her cousins were there, which she loved, especially Whitney. Her and Whitney get along so well and have become great friends. Sadie from school, Camille from soccer, and Morgan from church came which meant a lot too. These girls have become very special to her too over the past year. And there real good girls...hopefully they remain friends for a long time to come. Dad talked on Baptism and did an amazing job. Grandma talked on the Holy Ghost, and gave Maddy a special blanket. Her talks are always neat and special. It's kinda become the tradition in my family. She did it for Caleb, and now Maddy, and I'm sure I'll have her do it for Abby and Jacob. Always my favorite part...the kids get up and sing, "I am a Child of God." I love that song, and love it even more to hear the children sing it. It's so pure and sweet. I pretty much bawled the whole hour. Caleb gave the opening prayer and did an outstanding job. He always amazes me with his prayers and testimonies...he is going to be something big someday. He's even had 2 different families get up in sacrement, and as part of their talk, have talked about Caleb and how pure his prayers and talks are...which is a great compliment...I am so proud of him! Dad wrote a few things down for him and asked him to read them, so he can kind of think about what he's going to say in his prayer. We didn't want him to freeze up and get embarrassed or anything. He shrugged us off and said, "I'm just going to say my own prayer mom." And sure enough he did, and did it well! PopPop gave the closing prayer and did well too...as always, short and sweet.Nana and Tata, Aunt Shawn, and Tawny and Brenden came as well. They are not LDS, so it meant even more to have them there. I know Tata got emotional when Dad gave his talk. Hopefully they felt the spirit...if not, we still love them anyway. Great Grandma came too. She was getting over the flu, so I'm glad she felt well enough to come. She turned 89 this year, and still goes to Water Aerobics every morning and is in great health! I hope I'm in as good as shape and health as her when I'm her age...if I'm still alive. She can still talk your ear off too :)
We had everyone back over to the house after and ate pizza, wings, salads, and cake, and just hung out. Sheri came into town and was there, and was amazed at Joseph's talk, and says I need to print it and put it in a book for her when she gets older. I think that's a great idea. She'll definitely need to be reminded of these things when she hits those teenage years :)
We actually headed for the hospital later that afternoon...Brynn had surgery on her spine and we wanted to go visit her at Phx Children's Hospital. We brought Maddy too see her and visit with Whitney. I think she was more excited to see Maddy than her Aunts. That's okay though...as long as we brought a smile to her face. Brynn was feeling much better, and was able to go home 2 days after that. She is doing well so far thank goodness. We are always so grateful it's not worse than it is, but keep hoping it gets better and better.



I'll leave this entry with Joseph's talk...I can't wait to share it with Madelyn even a few years from now, and remind her how much her Dad loves her and is proud of her...



Madelyn, it seems like yesterday I was holding you in my arms. Now you are too fast for me to catch.

I am more proud of you on this day, than any goal you have ever scored!

I have those same ansious tingles in my belly, like you get in yours before each game.

You are amazing in all that you do and have a magical spirit about you. Sometimes I love to sit and watch you play, because everything you do is so innocent and pure. What truly amazes me the most is that you find a way to communicate even by not saying a word. Your eyes and your smile, speak more loudly than the serenity of your voice.

You are so mature and have great character. But what I love the most about you is that you are so humble. You take your successes and your accomplishments, enjoy them for that moment, then you are on to the next thing. It is amazing to see how you never live in the past. You are so happy and content with living in the present and savoring in the now.

You take everything in stride and I can only remember one day, where I can say you ever had a bad day. I even remember crying for you and getting angry that day, because you were too tough and would not cry for yourself.

I would like to say that today is a special day for you, but with your wonderful personality, everyday seems to be a special day. Nonetheless it is a special day for our family!

Do you know why our church believes that 8 is the proper age to be baptized?

We believe that children do not reach the age of accountability until they are 8 (D&C 68:27; Joseph Smith Translation, Genesis 17:11). "They cannot sin, for power is not given unto Saten to tempt little children, until they begin to become accountable before me" (D&C 29:46-47).

Do you know why wer are baptized by the immersion in water?
Baptism by immersion in water is symbolic of death and resurrection. More importantly, it is an ordinance of the gospel and is necessary to become a member of our church and to receive eternal salvation. All who seek eternal life must follow the example of the Savior by being baptized and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Immersion is symbolic of the death of a person's sinful life and their rebirth into a spiritual life. Jesus himself was baptized by immersion. Therefore, he instructed us through his example and you too are performing the same ordinance he did.

Being baptized today, you will enter into a covenant...or a pinky promise...with God and take upon yourself the name of Jesus Christ, keep His commandments, and serve Him (Mosiah 18:8-10; D&C 20:37). Basically, you are promising to live the gospel, listen to the promptings of the Spirit and to "Choose the Right," and try to live righteously so you can return to Heavenly Father and be with your family again someday!

By keeping the convenants you make here today at your baptism, the Lord promises to bless you for your faithfulness. Some of those blessings are having the gift of the Holy Ghost, the remission of your sins, and the privelege of being spiritually reborn. Upon living faithfully, we are promised eternal life (2 Nephi 13:19-20). Each Sunday that we attend church and partake of the sacrament, we are all renewing our covenant we made (D&C 20:77,79).

Madelyn, there is no doubt in my mind that I am confident that as you grow, you will continue to live your life in a righteous manner. Being humble is one of your greatest strengths. I pray that as your testimony grows, so does your confidence in yourself!

I want to bear my testimony that I know this church is true. I have faith in Christ's teachings and accept his will, knowing that he knows what is best for me. I have faith that he will help me to help myself become a better father and husband to my family. Forgive me for being tough on you, you know that I love you and only want you to be the best at whatever it is you do.

I have faith in myself that I will follow the teachings of the church so that I can return to my savior and enjoy everlasting life with my family. I have faith Madelyn, that you will be by my side.

Madelyn, I love you and I am blessed and proud to be your father! And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

The Foster Family said...

Wow- you're family is growing in so many ways- it really is special to witness how the Spirit is continuing to bless and touch your family!